Thursday, December 30, 2010

Oh The Possibilities

I had a 40 % off coupon for any one cut of fabric at a local fabric store to use this week. I browsed through lots of fabrics but in the end came home with bleached muslin, the whole bolt. Nothing says "quilt" to me as much as muslin and calicoes - small prints - feed sacks. They were the quilts my mom and grandma made. I think that is why I have a whole Aunt Gracie room (see the post back in September). Muslin just seems to get softer under my fingers when I am sewing patches, and it irons so nice and crisp. Oh the possibilities of where I can use this muslin.
Now I really do like the new fabrics as well, I even had a little 'Merry Christmas to me' shopping trip last week to the local quilt shop that carries all the Kaffe Fassets and expanded my collection by a few 1/3 yard cuts. Hmmm, muslin and Kaffe Fassetts??? Maybe any pattern that would look good with Aunt Grace fabrics would also look good done in Kaffe Fassets and white fabric. Oh the possibilities.

All of these thoughts brings me to the quilt that I have been thinking about starting. I have never paid much attention to the Dear Jane quilt, usually thinking "life is to short" to fuss with such little pieces. However there have been some beautiful Dear Janes out there in blogland. So the quilt was in the back of my mind when I found this notebook in a used book store.
When I opened the notebook I found that a quilter had taken the binding off her Dear Jane book and inserted each page in a clear page protector.
There was a triangle ruler for the border triangles in the front pocket of the notebook. In the back were letters and notes written by the quilter, mostly from the mid 1990s. I was intrigued and looked up the name and address of this lady on the Internet and found an obituary that she had died in 1997. I also found an estate sale notice and the auctioneer stated that this auction had the most fabric and quilting supplies he had ever come across. I was intrigued, I liked this lady. I wonder if she ever finished her Dear Jane quilt? Lots of the page protectors include freezer paper patterns and notes for the color of fabric for the block.

As I paged through the notebook I realized that pages 75 - 82 were missing, maybe this was the row of blocks she was working on. And a couple pages later my best find, one of her blocks!
I will take good care of it. I will think about making my own Dear Jane. Maybe muslin and Aunt Grace fabrics or Kaffe Fassetts. I will probably get the Dear Jane software by electric quilt. The software says the blocks can be appliqued. Maybe this is the route I will go, because while "Life is to Short" to piece 1/4 inch pieces, it is definitely not to short to applique them (I am an appliquer at heart). Oh the possibilities.
Happy New Year All!
Cheri

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't belive you found that in a used book store. What a nice surprise.
    Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a find! Happy quilting new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very cool is that!?! Once you get started on Jane, you will find it addictive! LOL Take your time and enjoy the journey. Think what a fabulous quilt label your story will make!!! Jane is an heirloom no matter what, but your story will make her even more so!
    Blessings!
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a rare treasure you have found. Indeed, the possibilities...?!

    ReplyDelete