Friday, February 13, 2015

More Patchwork of the Crosses

I am currently having great momentum on the Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses quilt. We are still traveling and it is just a great take along quilt. I usually spend a day prepping about 4 blocksand then pop the glued pieces in a zip lock bag and take them everywhere to stitch when I can.

I am still surprised how fussy cutting can completely change the look of each block.

I sometimes take a picture of the prepped block so I can remember how I intended to stitch it together.

Then a better layout just sort of happens when I start sewing it together even when I fussy cut the pieces.

Happy Stitching!


Sunday, January 25, 2015

Patchwork of the Crosses

Our winter travels have taken us away from the beach and to the middle of Texas ranch country. We are in the middle of long horn cattle country surrounded by sprawling live oaks that stay green all year.

Out one window of our camper is a tree loaded with mistletoe.

Out another window we frequently see deer.

We have had two to three weeks of cold weather, and while we are thankfully not shoveling snow we have been inside for several days because of wet drizzly weather. I have been doing a lot of stitching. Patchwork of the Crosses has been a great small space project. I happened to have packed a small piece of batting and it is a nice work surface to hold the individual pieces in place while I am stitching. I do not get fussy cutting elements in every block, sometimes working on getting different colors and pattern variations in the mix of blocks. I have 22 blocks finished here are my most recent ones:

When the weather clears we try to get out for walks. There is a nearby lake and the other day we went there to go out on some of the hiking trails. We were given the following flyer at the park gate and my husband and I had a little nervous chuckle over it.

We cautiously proceeded with our walk and this is the only wild life we spotted that day.

That is not an alligator with it's mouth stretched open, just an Ibis wading in the shallows and it's reflection in the water.

Happy Stitching all!



Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year, New Needle

Happy New Year!

As I was stitching on the last few berries of my rose fan blocks yesterday I realized my applique needle was so bent. I think I used the same needle for all four blocks and probably some buttons and other small mending items in between. Why? Needles are probably one of the least expensive notion we quilters buy. As I was drifting asleep last night after seeing the old year out it came to me: New Year, New Needles. My resolution for this year is already done. I am going to start the year right off with changing out all of my needles, in my EPP and applique projects and on the sewing machine.


The four rose fan blocks are finished and I love them. All of the berries are stuffed, a technique we learned in the Sue Garman class where these blocks were started. The berries on the vase picture show the stuffing a little better and the rest will poof out more when it is quilted.

I played around a little bit with lay out, vases in corners or in the center, but I really like the secondary berry design with the vases in the center. There will be a red sashing between the blocks and a red border and these blocks will become a Christmas tablecloth on my dining room table.

Ok, one last picture with a little distance, I can't help myself, I love the way these blocks turned out.

Happy New a Year!


Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tis the Season For

Christmas cookies for breakfast!



Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Rainy Day Applique

I am sitting this morning with my cup of coffee popping out the plastic disks in about 60 berries. I thought my little work space looked so funny with all these trailing threads but it really works quite well. This tip was mentioned by Sue Garman in a recent class I was in: gather your stuffed berries with the applique thread and leave a 6 - 8 inch tail to applique them on. Simple, but a time saver. Several of my class mates had heard this before but it was new to me.

Yesterday was a rainy, drizzly, cool day and I assembled the little berries all day long. I gave them a good press last night put the ruler over them to add a little pressure and keep them in one place over night.

They will be glued on to the block for stitching as soon as I get all the plastic disks out.

Happy Stitching,




Friday, November 21, 2014

One Month In

We have been on the road in our RV one month today. We are happy to be spending this winter in Texas which just happens to be close to our grandchildren.

I thought I would be getting lots of stitching done but I just have the four rose fan blocks

at various stages of applique and one completed Patchwork of the Crosses block stitched.

There have been many walks on long empty stretches of beach.

and a couple days spent fishing.
I never would have guessed I would find alpaca at the beach,

this is Sunshine and her little black sibling.

They belong to the RV park owners where we are currently staying. The freezing cold weather the country has been experiencing has made it's way into Texas. I am not sure if it was my new alpaca neighbors or an especially cold morning standing at the school bus stop with my grandson that inspired me to get some yarn and crochet a couple pair of little red mittens.

I have not crocheted in years but these were fun. A quick and easy free pattern on

Happy stitching and stay warm friends.



Friday, October 31, 2014

International Quilt Festival

I made a very quick 3 hour stop at the International Quilt Festival as we traveled through Houston. I packed a lot in three hours but I spent a lot of time at this recreation of the Infinite Variety, Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts show from the American Folk Art Museum a couple years ago. The display was just beautiful.

Happy Stitching,