Sunday, June 18, 2017

June

After sewing piles and piles of Panama Pyramids,

And adding a black print background pyramid to each of my pieced pyramids,

And lying them all out and starting to sew the rows together,

And machine quilting and quilting and quilting,

It is FINISHED! Panama Pyramids Sew Along 2016-2017

 

I spent most of the last month working on Panama Pyramids but I also finished a couple more Celebrating Mary Brown blocks.

The four corner sections of the quilt are complete and sewn together.

I decided that bottom right blue striped vase was a little light and plain so I added a little tweak.

Next block featured birds, (and a dog who I suppose is barking at them-that is what my dog does). I love picking out special fabrics for bird wings.

One of the best Applique tips I ever received was to prep berries with the same thread they will be appliquéd to the block. It makes for a "hairy" block but a quick stitch once you start appliqueing them down.

I must admit the next block gave me pause. I stared at this pattern for days trying to decide how to do it.

I finally decided to do a sort of applique-curved paper peicing thing. I copied the pattern on heavy weight freezer paper and cut out each section and ironed it to the back of the fabrics (luckily the pattern was reversible).

I glued under the seam allowances of the convex curves and left the concave curved seam allowance extended. Sue Daly (Patchwork for Busy Fingers) describes this technique much better than I do on a YouTube video for making a paper pieced apple core shape quilt. I appliquéd those prepped convex curves over top of the concave piece.

Section by section and lots of pressing it came together.

Because that last block worked so well with an English Paper Pieced technique I just kept right at it with the Seven Sisters block. EPP the stars

Then applique them onto the background.

And finally a simple back basting applique block, this one seemed quick after all that paper piecing.

Happy Stitching all,

Cheri

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Just beautiful work--love those pyramids--great choice for the background--make them pop for sure..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. All such gorgeous stitching!! Your Panama Pyramids looks fabulous! Your applique as always is exquisite. I love your fabrics in the red sunflower block - very clever construction and it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always delighted when you've posted photos of what you've been stitching. Each piece is beautifully sewn, appliqued, constructed, and designed. I had thought about doing the pyramids by hand, but yours turned out so great I'm opting for the machine. Your quilt is a wonderful finish. Then there's your gorgeous Mary blocks. Each one is truly lovely. Thanks for great tip of leaving the circle basting threads long and then using them to do the appliqué later. I'm going to use that idea. Great construction idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pyramid quilt is absolutely stunning with the black added! What great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Lots of great pictures of your quilting projects. Love the Pyramida quilt. The colors good.
    Your Mary Brown blocks oh so good. I have the pattern waiting for attention. And your curvy block finished up just perfect. It does look scary. Thanks for sharing so much goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  7. The right fabrication, feel & function are super important. Select from large variety of Blanket, flannel comforter, buy prayer mat & Quilts products and enjoy best blanket price in pakistan.

    ReplyDelete