Tuesday, August 15, 2017

August

It is county fair time in my home state of Nebraska. I have not entered quilts in my local county fair in the past but I thought it would be fun to put Roseville Album with it's pink pig and polka dot cow in the fair.

It won Best of Show!!!

I was so surprised and now am very honored as it will go on to the Nebraska State Fair at the end of this month to represent my home county.

Panama Pyramids also brought home a blue ribbon in the scrap quilt category.

I decided to add a little red pencil border to the leaf quilt that I showed in last month's blog. I think it just frames it better and then I had just enough background fabric to add a final three inch border. This is a raffle quilt for a local quilt guild fund raiser.

In a blast from the past I was asked to quilt a top from one of my sister's coworkers. She found it in a box from her great grandmother. This sweet little bow tie was all hand pieced and made from double knit fabric. Double knit fabric was so popular in the 1970s, I had a closet full of "pantsuits" made from double knit.

I ironed and ironed and IRONED this quilt top and I could not get the seams to lie flat. I finally just went with it and quilted the background squares of each block and just let the bow ties puff up. It gave it kind of an interesting tactile feel.

My evenings continue to be spent on Celebrating Mary Brown applique blocks. I think I average a block a week.


There are a lot of near twin blocks in Mary Brown.

Happy stitching,

Cheri

 

8 comments:

  1. Oh your Roseville Album is so beautiful--congratulations on the well-deserved win...that is one lovely quilt...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the ribbons. You deserve them. Your Celebrating Mary Brown blocks are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on winning the Best of Show with Roseville. Your work is beautiful and will definitely be a contender at the state level. Panama Pyramids is wonderful too, That tiny red border on your maple leaf quilt adds the perfect punch. Now that double poly quilt is a one of a kind. That stuff was like steel. You came up with a good quilting solution. It's always exciting to see what you've been working on. Mary Brown blocks are gorgeous,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your quilts, I hope you do the same at the State Fair. Your Roseville Quilt is just awesome!! You do great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurray on your win. It deserved it.
    I can't find time to start on the Mary Brown quilt and so want to. I may set the pattern out to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the ribbons!! Well deserved! Your other projects are so beautiful!!
    I don't think you had any options with the poly quilt. It should outlive all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents.
    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a search on your blog so I could view your various "Celebrating Mary Brown" blocks. My interest is because I am participating in a sew-along using the pattern set. Your blocks inspired me when I first saw them quite some time ago. Absolutely gorgeous. I did not find a photo of the finished quilt and am wondering if you are still in the stitching process on the blocks.

    ReplyDelete