Friday, February 22, 2013

Quilting At The Beach







We have been staying at a beach house, actually called a fish camp locally, on the Galveston intercostal waterway.



When we rent a house like this we like to invite family to join us. The first part of our stay was with my brother and sister in law.



The guys fished and the gals brought our sewing machines and had a little quilt retreat.



There have been lots of herons and other interesting birds on this bay side of the island. This is not a great picture but we have nightly pelicans that swim just on the edge of the pier lights checking out the fish that come to the lights.




I have been working on getting some appliquéd blocks sashed and put together. I am two thirds done with Sally Post, I just love the bright colors in this one.



The second quilt I am working on is the red and green appliqué blocks.




I have all the blocks put together and now am starting a few hundred half square triangles.



I decided to put a dogtooth border around the center appliqué blocks, but I am going to piece them not do appliqué. Then I plan to put a 7 inch white border, which I will quilt with a feather border and finally one more border of half square triangles.

Today I am going to pack up the sewing machine. Our son's family is coming and this second weekend at the beach will be spent playing with my four year old grandson and keeping a close eye on him with all this water around.




I also brought my reproduction sampler from Scarlet Letter and have gotten a good start on it. Stitching on linen is a new challenge for me, but I am happy to say I have put in more stitches correctly then ones I have had to "frog" - a new term for me in the cross stitch world (rip it, rip it).

Happy stitching from a girl who is very glad she has missed snowstorm Q,
Cheri

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

  1. Fun times with good memories!!
    Love your Sally Post quilt! I got my pink sashing in the mail today. Is your other quilt a Lori Smith sampler? Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that is a nice place to work on some lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased that blog press is working well for you.

    Your holiday location looks perfect, I would love to see the pelicans what a bonus treat.

    Your quilting is amazing and so is your start on Miss Hutton.

    Hope the boys have caught some big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wonderful. Fishing and quilting sounds as if everybody was happy! Your quilts look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great place to spend some time stitching. Your Sally Post is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri,
    Your quilts are absolutely beautiful. I love the one at the top of your blog! (I don't know how to do fancy posts of photos like that yet.) Also wanted to say your Scarlet Letter sampler is getting off to a gorgeous start! How do you like stitching on the linen so far? Once you get used to it, I bet you'll never go back to Aida again. ;-) Look forward to exploring your blog.

    ReplyDelete