I feel like I have mostly been doing prepping for different projects this month. There are several papercut (cut as you go) blocks in Celebrating Mary Brown. It is a fun method of needleturn applique that I enjoy. I have one finished and two more ready to stitch.
Generally you trace 1/4 of the applique pattern on freezer paper, fold it and cut it out carefully (like cutting out snow flakes). Then I iron the cut out freezer paper pattern on my applique fabric and trace around it for my needleturn lines. Remove the freezer paper and center the applique fabric on my background. I like to baste the two layers inside the applique design and it is ready to begin stitching. It works best to just cut an inch or so of the applique fabric at a time.
I also finished this pretty ruffle leaf red and green block in the Mary Brown quilt. I think I stitched the center section three times and was about to just applique a circle in the center of the block. I gave it one more try and this time the fourth time was the charm, glad there are no more of those blocks in the quilt.
After I finished that block I laid out all of the blocks I have finished this winter while living in our RV. Lots of nice weather and new campground friends to stitch with outside.
My friend Julie also came to Texas to spend a week camping with us.
Celebrating Mary Brown is actually Julie's quilt. She got the pattern and sent me her fabric background and some starter applique fabrics (we live in different states), I love to applique and am doing the applique. She is the hand quilter and the top will go to her when I am finished. She has been posting the pictures of the finished blocks I send her on the Celebrating Mary Brown Facebook group so it was fun for her to see the finished blocks in person this week.
I also have three of the four borders of the a Rowdy Flat Library quilt finished. Forgive the wrinkles, I did not iron them for this picture.
I have all of the prep work finished for the final applique border of Mariner's Compass. I have hundreds of leaves and piles of flowers all cut out with steam a seam 2 ironed on the back, all ready for raw edge blanket stitch applique. I just have not laid them out because this final border will be 94 inches long and I am just not sure I want to crawl around the RV floor to do that, if there is even room in the camper to try it. I may just have to wait until we are home and I am back to the nice long tables in my sewing room.
A friend from the campground and I traveled about an hour north to the fabulous Painted Pony quilt shop in Houston Texas last week. I just love a quilt shop that requires shopping carts.
That back room Sally is coming out of was all reproduction fabrics! Heavenly!!! I bought a variety of black with tan print reproduction fabrics.
I will be cutting out the background triangles for Panama Pyramids from these fabrics. The completed pyramid count is somewhere in the 50s with another 50 cut out and ready to sew.
So that was my final prepping project this month,
Happy Stitching All,