I recently made a doll quilt for the humblequilts.blogspot.com annual doll quilt exchange. The instructions were to make a doll quilt, less than 24 inches square, that looks like it came from the 1800's to about 1910. Well I remembered a crib quilt, circa 1840, I saw one day while browsing the quilts on the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art website.
It was a red and white quilt made with with a red and green flowered fabric. I had almost an exact match in a Jo Morton reproduction print fabric. The blocks looked like drunkards path blocks and I made three inch hand appliquéd drunkards path blocks for my doll quilt version of the museum crib quilt.
I also remembered recently seeing an article about using glue instead of pins to baste quilt binding and even piecing. These little druckards path blocks seemed like the perfect opportunity to give glue basting a try. There were many points that had to match in these little blocks to get the secondary design of circles to look nice and neat.
I would line up the blocks and fold back the 1/4 inch seam allowance on the top block and put tiny drops of Roxanne's glue where I would normally place pins before sewing blocks together.
I also put these drops of glue just inside the seam line so I would not stitch through the glue and carry glue on my sewing machine needle into my machine. Overall the technique of glue basting worked very well. I would only use it on piecing where it is important to get points to match, but I will probably do it again for such a project.
I hand quilted a simple quarter inch outline in the white sections of the blocks and a triple quilted line in the borders.
Red binding added and my little doll quilt was off to Jessica in Colorado.
Lori at Humble Quilts always comes up with the best quilt alongs and exchanges and I can't wait to do another doll quilt next year.