Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Rowdy Flat Library Quilt

I have just received the first pattern for Susan Smith's new mystery block of the month the Rowdy Flat Library quilt. This is the first mystery quilt I have ever done. I am not much of a gambler and not willing to spend so much time and effort on a project I might not like in the end, but I do like all of Susan Smith's other quilts and I like applique. There are a few sneak peaks out in web land of others who are a couple months ahead of me and so far I like what I see.

The center of this block and I believe at least a couple more blocks is a toile fabric. This is a close up of my toile, it is a faint pink but had a couple good scenes on it so I could vary the centers of future blocks.

I have been doing more of the prepared starched under edges of the applique pieces and before I knew it I had the whole block prepped and glued down so now it is just applique away. The threads in the corner flower pots are for stitching down the circular flowers, I gather the circles with the applique thread and then just leave an 8 inch or so tail to sew them down.

 

I also finished another block of Roseville Album,

and another block on the Caswell quilt.

 

It has been all applique for me the last couple weeks which is my favorite.

Happy Stitching,

Cheri

 

9 comments:

  1. All are beautiful. Where did you get the Rowdy Flat Libray pattern? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful blocks. I love when I read someone's blog and pick up pointers- yours, leaving the threads on the circles to stitch down, how fantastic is that? Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoys seeing all of your applique projects. I haven't seen your mystery quilt around, but love the center so far. I don't think you have anything to fear. Thanks for the tip about leaving the gathering threads for stitching later. Great idea. You've chosen wonderful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking wonderful. Love your fabric choices. Enjoy your applique time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how the designer came up with the name for the quilt. Unusual. It looks like it should be a beautiful quilt.
    You have accomplished a lot of applique lately and all looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your applique is wonderful, but I really like your Roseville block. The centerpiece is perfect, and I like how the fabrics you chose look great together without being too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been very busy with applique Cheri - so beautiful! I know what you mean about mystery quilts - I like to plan my colours ahead but maybe with such a scrappy project it is not a problem. It is a lovely first block!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from Belgium,yesterday I receive the 1 month
    of the Susan Bom. Now I collect all the stuff...
    with pleasure. Tine

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are working on fantastic applique pieces!!

    ReplyDelete