Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Finish And A New Start

I have finished my Scarlet Letter sampler. This sampler was originally done by Mary Ann Hutton in 1801. I made so many changes to it I really can not call it a reproduction. It is stitched on 25 count homespun linen with silk threads.

This was a relearning experience for me that I really enjoyed. It was fun to share my progress on Nicola's Scarlet Letter Year blog. I am looking forward to doing another Scarlet Letter reproduction sampler and learning some other stitches.

My next project, however, is a sampler I have admired for a couple years. And They Sinned, by Examplar Dames Pattern Designs.

This is a large sampler, 9 by 45 inches, that depicts the story of Adam and Eve. I am stitching it on 18 count Zweigart Vintage Mocha Aida.

I want to work on perfecting my basic cross stitch (Mary Ann Hutton is full of errors and tension issues). The threads I am using are the suggested Gentle Arts Sampler Threads. They are beautiful hand dyed variegated cotton threads.

I have been surrounded by inspiring beauty the last couple days while we have been traveling through the Rocky Mountain National Park. I have to share these pictures taken at the Estes Park, Colorado golf coarse. I am not a golfer but I think elk on the golf coarse is a rather unique golf hazard.

The golfers did not seem to concerned and just played on through.

Happy Stitching All,

Cheri

 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely cross stitches! congrats on the finish. Both pieces are really fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely sampler. I am sure you will enjoy 'And They Sinned' as it is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete