Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hawaiian Quilts at the International Quilt Festival

I have a few more pictures from my day at the Quilt Festival in Houston. It has been fun to see which quilts or quilt collections the different bloggers have been sharing on their posts from the show. Our interests are all so varied and it shows with which quilts we chose to photograph and share on our blogs. I am currently working on Roseville Album so I was very interested in Kaffe Fassett's exhibit which I included in my previous post. I also like Hawaiian applique so I have pictures of four quilts that were in the show. The echo quilting was just outstanding, I think it is one of the hardest types of quilting.
I liked the bright colors, but I also really liked the subtlety of this tan and white Hawaiian applique.
I also tend to migrate to the more traditional quilts and I spotted this one way across the convention floor and liked the colors. On closer inspection I was astounded to see all these little pieced log cabin squares, probably about 1/4 inch logs.

The vendor area was overwhelming. The new gadget that I found was a rotary blade sharpener called True Cut by the Grace quilting frames company. There was an electric model and a model that just required running your rotary cutter against the sharpening stones that were set in a wood block.The Roxanne's glue people also had a new container for their glue that I use all the time in applique, it is a sort of accordion bottle and a new cap for the needle that keeps it air tight and is not suppose to need cleaning of the needle dispenser.

The last pictures I will leave you with is a couple close ups of Mystique, the best of show quilt by Sharon Shamber showing her amazing quilting and applique.This is her third best of show at the International Quilt Festival in Houston. What a talented quilter she is.

Happy Stitching All,
Cheri

2 comments:

  1. Love the hawaiian quilts, the quilting on them is amazing. Interesting about the cutter sharpener, I may have to pick one up.

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been amazed at the workmanship of Hawaiian quilts!! All the quilts you've shown are lovely.

    ReplyDelete