Wednesday, January 11, 2017

In Memoriam -Sue Garman

I have sadly learned about the passing of quilt designer and teacher Sue Garman this week. She eloquently and bravely documented her journey with lung cancer on her blog, suegarman.blogspot.com, for the last few months. I have spent the morning rereading many of her blog posts, she had so much to share and teach. She saw so much in quilts, things I don't even notice, her designer's mind must have always been filing away ideas.

I was lucky enough to take an applique class with Sue in September 2014 at Baltimore on the Prairie. My friend Leslie and I could not write down the wonderful tips fast enough.

We look at our pattern sheets handed out in the class that day and the margins and back of each page are covered with notes.


She has left us with a beautiful legacy of patterns and quilts to add to our bucket lists.

My deepest sympathies to her family and friends and all who will miss her dearly.

 

 

 

The Stitcher's Prayer - E. Field

 

I pray that risen from the dead,

I may in glory stand,

A crown perhaps upon my head,

But a needle in my hand.

 

4 comments:

  1. What sadness....it's a beautiful tribute Cheri...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Cheri, she was a true inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sad. I have admired Sue's work for years and had hoped to take a class from her some day. This is a huge loss to the quilting community.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortunate you were to have been able to take a class from Sue G. She was gifted.

    ReplyDelete