Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year, New Needle

Happy New Year!

As I was stitching on the last few berries of my rose fan blocks yesterday I realized my applique needle was so bent. I think I used the same needle for all four blocks and probably some buttons and other small mending items in between. Why? Needles are probably one of the least expensive notion we quilters buy. As I was drifting asleep last night after seeing the old year out it came to me: New Year, New Needles. My resolution for this year is already done. I am going to start the year right off with changing out all of my needles, in my EPP and applique projects and on the sewing machine.

 

The four rose fan blocks are finished and I love them. All of the berries are stuffed, a technique we learned in the Sue Garman class where these blocks were started. The berries on the vase picture show the stuffing a little better and the rest will poof out more when it is quilted.

I played around a little bit with lay out, vases in corners or in the center, but I really like the secondary berry design with the vases in the center. There will be a red sashing between the blocks and a red border and these blocks will become a Christmas tablecloth on my dining room table.

Ok, one last picture with a little distance, I can't help myself, I love the way these blocks turned out.

Happy New a Year!

 

9 comments:

  1. Your blocks are just simply gorgeous. I love the colors.
    I don’t know what it is with needles. I have so many and always seem to keep using the same one until it is so bent or I lose it. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blocks are absolutely gorgeous! I've been flipping between your pictures to see which layout I like best and I can't choose :0) I am SO guilty of sewing and quilting with bent needles. It is so much easier to quilt a straight line with a straight needle. New year - new needles is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely blocks--this will be so beautiful for your table. I go crazy if I drop my needle and can't find it--I seem to also use one needle forever! I do have a drawer full of them too, but "this is the one" I NEED to use lol hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely they look together and I agree with vases in the middle layout as my favourite! Enjoy your new needles and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your applique blocks are beautiful. Your sure can make those berries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blocks are gorgeous! I like them with the pots in the center too. The fabric choices are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful blocks! Your appliqué is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love these. I'm glad you are keeping this for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, lovely. I like the idea of setting dates to swap out needles. I also like the bases in center

    ReplyDelete