Friday, January 25, 2013
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
A whole lot of applique has been going on around here.
I am all caught up on the Sally Post Floral Quilt. Gay over at Sentimental Stitches has been posting a block each Saturday from this quilt from 1854. There are 36 blocks in all and we are up to block 19, but the first 19 are all still available for download if you want to join in. She has each block on point (diagonal) like the original quilt or a straight set option each week. These are great little primitive blocks, they are 8 inches, and pretty fast to work up. I am doing these blocks on my machine with blanket stitch applique and I like the diagonal setting. I usually sew the setting triangles and sashing to each block as I complete it, but I have a quilt retreat coming up the end of February and that will be a good project to work on there.
I also have been doing some hand work on the peahen block from the Elly Sienkiewicz class I took at the International Quilt Festival back in November. I have been working on the peahen off block on a light interfacing. All of her embroidery embellishment is completed. I need to do a little more work on her Ultrasuede spots and then I will cut out the interfacing 1/8 inch away from the peahen and turn it under as I applique her onto the block.
The third border on Ladies of the Sea (Sue Garman pattern) is getting close to finished, here is one end of it with the corner Mariner's Compass block added. This is another machine blanket stitch applique project. The Mariner's Compass was paper pieced and then, because I am an appliquer, I just appliqued the finished circle onto a corner block instead of fussing with piecing that circle and the funky shapes to try to make it a flat square.
And finally, I have another block finished for the red and green mystery album - mystery because I still do not know how I am going to put all these blocks together. This pattern was from Elly Sienkiewicz Beloved Baltimore Album Quilts book. The roses are folded. They start out as circles that are folded in half,
then in thirds,
and the last third going not quite to the the left edge, making a visible fold on the rosebud and also slightly squaring off the top.
Bummer, now that I see this picture on the computer I see that I need to redo and recenter that second rosebud.
Anyway, I have been having fun here, doing what I like best...applique.
Happy Stitching All,